Saturday, March 05, 2005

Demo

I am supposed to hand in my FYP today at 3.30pm. After 3.30pm, my server will be closed and I will be considered late for submission of FYP. The worst thing is my demo will come straightaway after my submission.

The day before my deadline I was already kind of freaking out because there were so many bugs and lots of functions not working. Luckily there is always the ever so helpful Mr Loy Ah J around who managed to put everything right in just a day. I figured that I couldn’t put ANYTHING right if you had given me a decade. Talk about the difference between a genius and an idiot.

But so anyway, during the demo we are supposed to demonstrate to our supervisors and 2nd marker about our project and also show him our work. From there, they will ask you many stupid questions regarding your project and even expect humble answers from you despite knowing our standards are levels away from one another. If not, why the hell are you being paid thousands of dollars every month while we are paying thousands every year just to be taught by you? In fact, if we dissect carefully, we are paying your salaries and maybe you should call us ‘boss’ instead of ‘boy ar’. Ok, this is so out of point. Back to FYP.

And so, despite most of my program is working without any obvious bugs, the fear is that my supervisor may ask something which will expose the weakness of my FYP. The real weakness will be not exposed here because you never know who may drop by your blog. The night before, I was scanning through my program and imagining myself in front of that 2 markers and presenting to them in my mind.

Of course, in your mind, everything will go smoothly because humans are naturally optimistic. You then imagine the 2 markers applauding your FYP and even promising you an A for it. Yah, crap.

Another thing that I will need to consider is the clothes I am going to wear to the presentation. Most of my peers wore formal which means a shirt, black pants and formal shoes, those which will go ‘click click click’ one. Formal wearing is something which I really hate the most and I feel utmost discomfort when I am in one.

But of course we just have to compromise. So, I will not wear that formal, but I at least need to look neat. (Notice I only say neat instead of neat and smart because I always look smart whatever I wear.WHAHAHAHA)

Thus I decided to take out the shirts I have available in my cupboard and picked the ones which will make me look at least neat. Horrors of horrors, I realized that I am unable to button up my buttons due to…..arg….forget it. Looking into the mirror, I realize I actually looked quite comical with my shirt buttoned only up to my upper tummy and my belly button exposed. Bloody hell.

Eventually I decided on a white Polo T-shirt which at least make me look like a golf player and someone of a higher status. Wahahah…imagine the typical man you see in a country club on Sunday mornings. And of course, I am wearing my jeans and my favorite trademark slippers. Aiya, demo only mah. Not matchmake leh. For the sake of 30 mins and then feel uncomfortable for the rest of the day is just not worth it.

Before the demo, I actually held a rehearsal in front of my classmates and there were some bugs or problems. Whatever, I also don’t know what they call those. Luckily, there is always the debugger Loy around to save my arse yet again.

3.30pm came real fast and I had to make my way to my demo classroom and set up all my stuff. I was really nervous and was afraid of screwing myself.

3.40pm and there is still no sight of my supervisor and 2nd marker.

3.45pm and I decided to give my supervisor a call. All I got for response was “Hi, I am Andrew Yoong and I am not around. Please leave a message after the Beep.”

3.50pm and I am dying of anxiety. I was afraid I might get the location of the demo room wrong.

In the end I decided to try my luck and give my 2nd marker whom I have never seen nor met before a call. Luckily he was at his office and picked up my call. “Oh, Yong Yifan. Yah. I am your 2nd marker but your demo is on Monday, not today.”

So much troubles all for nothing. Thanks ar, Mr Andrew Yoong.

4 Comments:

At 7:17 AM, Blogger angelpeg said...

well.. ur day is sure a very comical one.. haha.. but good luck for monday.. heez.. btw, who is andrew yoong?

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger XinHui said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger malmoncolo said...

well...andrew yoong is my final year project supervisor..

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Zen|th said...

Don't need to wear shirt la. Just wear some nice pants and a normal shirt can already. Also, maybe wear some normal shoes. Don't need formal shoes. Haha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home